December 7, 2022
Planning a kid’s birthday party can be an overwhelming task. From planning the entertainment for the day, choosing a venue that will accommodate guests and give it that wow factor, and then keeping costs within reason.
Luckily, we’ve got some tips on how to make the celebration extra memorable. We have outlined everything you need to know beforehand to make it easier.
Check out our tips and advice for planning the perfect kid’s birthday party!
1. Use this birthday party planner.
You don’t have to be a supermom to plan an epic birthday party. Let us help you take the stress out of party planning! We have everything you need to know to make the celebration extra special.
From budgeting to food and game ideas, check out our comprehensive guide!
Here’s a general timeline and overview of the birthday party planning process from start to finish:
3 months before the party
2. Set a birthday party budget before you start shopping.
This will help you decide on the right items on your shopping list and set a budget you want to stay within.
You can always do so if you spend less on the party. Instead of buying unnecessary items, you can try to find alternative activities that don’t cost a lot of money. For example, you can do it yourself, invite a few friends to play a board game, or even play an accessible sport.
If you want to spend a higher budget, you can always contact party suppliers offering discounts for bulk orders or birthday party packages. Find a supplier with a good reputation and many choices for your party items.
- Dollar store decor
- Bulk decoration party packs
- DIY Balloon arch (no helium required)
- DIY cake
- DIY decorations
3. Decide on the birthday party theme.
- Save party ideas on Pinterest (I name my boards “[Kid’s name]’s [#] birthday party.”
- Determine the number of guests. Create a guest list with relevant contact information and total guest count. It’s helpful to note kid guest total for purchasing goody bag party favors that align with your budget.
To decide on the theme of your party, try to put yourself in your child’s shoes. What are the themes that intrigue him the most? What are the topics that interest him the most?
Themes and topics that revolve around your child’s interests are the best possible choice for the birthday party theme.
4. Find a venue that fits the party theme.
This tip may seem obvious, but it shouldn’t be ignored. When planning a kid’s birthday party, the party’s venue plays a vital role.
Ideally, the platform should be related to the theme of the party.
For example, a sports birthday party themed around your son’s favorite football team can be hosted at a sports arena.
A kids’ birthday party themed around superheroes can be hosted in a superhero-themed restaurant.
If you can’t find a venue that matches the theme, you can always opt for hosting the party at home.
6 weeks (or less) before the party.
5. Create a guest list and send invites.
A guest list is an essential part of the birthday party planning process. It helps you track who is coming to your child’s birthday party and enables you to decide on the amount of food and beverages you want to serve, not to mention the goodie bag favors!
6. Follow up with guests.
- (2 weeks) Follow up with guests who haven’t RSVP’D.
- (1 week) Send reminders to all guests who haven’t RSVP’d “no”. Include all relevant party information: Time, date, location, and items to bring, if any.
The right combination of food and beverages can make your child’s birthday party memorable.
Decide on the food items that you want to serve. Again, try to incorporate things that match the theme of the party.
You can go for finger foods such as cookies, chips, cupcakes, and other sweet treats.
- (2 weeks) Place a cake order (or save some of your party budgets by making a homemade birthday cake a few days before the party date.)
You can also go for beverages that kids would enjoy, such as soda, juice, milk, milkshakes, and other soft drinks.
8. Games and activities are a must-have!
Kids love games and activities, and that’s why they are a must-have in your party planning.
You can go for board games, card games, table games, and sports-related activities. Board games are ideal because they last a long time and are great for keeping your kids engaged.
- (2 weeks) purchase goody bag party favors, games, activities, and prizes based on the estimated number of child guests attending your party… Adding a label with each guest’s name is a nice personal touch.
- (1-3 days) Assemble goody bags with party favors.
The BIG DAY!
9. Stay organized through the day of the celebration.
Planning a birthday party for a kid is a fun activity but also a lot of work.
Create a daily schedule with all the details related to the party, such as who will be checking the food, who will be serving the food, and who will be playing the games.
Stay organized, and an epic party will follow!
10. Remember to Say Thank You!
Don’t forget to follow up with thank you notes, whether digital or physical.
Use this template to follow up on your epic birthday bash by showing appreciation for your guests’ gifts and company!